SimsUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
New* Before & After EditingSat Apr 11, 2015 3:56 am435q
BARBIETOPIA, THE PRINCESS EDITION♛ MOCK DUE TOMORROW ☺Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 amBobSkellington
Face Off Cycle 4 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 amNinisims
Vana's Custom ContentSun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pmVanadis
Pixelated Cycle One Sign Ups OpenThu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pmbestfrienemies14
Statistics
We have 5583 registered usersThe newest registered user is worknmamaOur users have posted a total of 118969 messagesin 1676 subjects

Shade Like a Monkey

+8
j i l l i e<3
evergreen
Gim
starling68
nuttychick123
rey1993
LMcarrotcake
Monks
12 posters
Go down
Monks
Monks
Tokens : 6215

Shade Like a Monkey - Page 2 Empty Shade Like a Monkey

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:24 pm
First topic message reminder :

I made this tutorial because, as far as I know, I skin shade in ways that are pretty different from everyone else’s methods. Feel free to share any edits you make using this method here! ^_^

**For both the dodge and burn tool I would recommend staying at around 6-10% Exposure**

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Step 1: Light Source
The most important thing is to identify your light source in the picture. Does it come from somewhere in the picture or not? In this screenshot, the light comes from the lighthouse, which is behind my model. However, there is also a bit of light facing directly at the model. (Usually, night shots are easiest to identify where the light is coming from)

Step 2: Dodge
Once you have identified your light source, take your dodge tool and go over the areas on your model where the light will be directly hitting. In my case, the light will be cast on her left (our right) side most directly. I also did some highlighting on right side, as it still will be illuminated, and her chest and abdomen to define them a little more. I tend to set the dodge tool too “Highlight” for skin-shading, but it’s just about preference.

Step 3: Keep on Trucking
Continue going over the areas that the light will be hitting and any areas that you want to be defined.

Step 4: Face
Normally, for the face it’s best to draw attention to the features. Highlight anything that needs to be defined, remembering to keep in mind the light source. In this case, the left side of her face will be brighter than the rest of it.

Step 5: Burn
For shading, you’ll need to use the burn tool. This is where you go over the areas that will not be in direct light, or the areas that are blocked from light. You should also use it to further define the areas you highlighted. Basically, you do what you did for highlighting but now in shaded areas. For example, my model’s right leg is father away from the light, and will therefore be more shadowed.

Step 6: Fine Details
Don’t be afraid to zoom in to specific parts of your model and really define the features. Especially during sunset or night photos, the shadows and highlights will be exaggerated due to the contrast of light and dark. (My picture is zoomed out so you can see the results)

Final
Now you’re done! You can do whatever else you want with your picture. Maybe you’ll even use dodge and burn to detail other parts of your picture; I do because I’m too lazy to properly shadow. If you need quick definition or have trouble with the mess that can be created by other skin shading (when you blur and it goes everywhere) then this method will work like a charm. (Normally, it takes me 5 to 10 minutes to skin shade depending on how drastic the lighting is)

Some other examples:

LittleSmirk
LittleSmirk
Tokens : 6080
http://smirkehsims.tumblr.com/

Shade Like a Monkey - Page 2 Empty Re: Shade Like a Monkey

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 am
Bah don't say that lol, yours is gorgeous!!! But thank you. I use the same technique as you do just slightly altered to my own taste ^.^
Gim
Gim
Tokens : 5930

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 pm
Yay! I'm now shading like a money :P I'm sticking to using dodge and burn--its so much less time-consuming and frustrating ;)
Monks
Monks
Tokens : 6215

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm
That's why I do it :D Glad I could help Gim

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum