SimsUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
New* Before & After EditingSat Apr 11, 2015 3:56 am435q
BARBIETOPIA, THE PRINCESS EDITION♛ MOCK DUE TOMORROW ☺Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 amBobSkellington
Face Off Cycle 4 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 amNinisims
Vana's Custom ContentSun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pmVanadis
Pixelated Cycle One Sign Ups OpenThu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pmbestfrienemies14
Statistics
We have 5583 registered usersThe newest registered user is worknmamaOur users have posted a total of 118969 messagesin 1676 subjects

Go down
simsgal
simsgal
Tokens : 5146

simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut Empty simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 am
Hey guys, I've decided to make a hair tut since someone liked a recent hair I drew and asked if I followed a tut. I said I'd make a tut if she wanted, and someone else said she wanted me to make one!

I started drawing hair only a few weeks ago using Bliss's tut (yes, it hasn't taken me that long to get decent!) Many of my steps will be similar to hers, but not necessarily all of them. I haven't watched it in a while, so I don't remember :lol:. I'd recommend her tut since it's a video which is easier to understand if needed. Her tut is here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I decided to make my own, since I believe my way of drawing hair is faster. But you still have to put a few hours into a nice hair!

Even if you've read her tut, mine can certainly help pros (at least make it faster, maybe). I will be outlining things that experts most certainly should look at in blue). But everyone else should look at it too, this is just if good hair drawers want to navigate through this quickly for stuff they may not know! And if you already know how to draw hair, you can skip over in green, since that is focused on the beginners.

I suggest you at least skim this over before you begin if you're new to hair drawing. Then read it as you go when you begin... Just take my word for it...

Start out by opening your image (I suggest a close up shot, but not so close that you don't have enough room to draw your hair) (Note that I haven't yet edited ANYTHING on this photo.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then, choose the color for the hair you want. Start with a DARK base color. Get out your hairbrush (I suggest getting hairbrushes at devinanart. Make sure you choose one that isn't PARTS of the hair but little dots, you'll know what I mean when you dl them. I made that mistake at first, LOL!). Adjust the size of the paintbrush depending on the size of your image. The first layer can have BIG strands since you want to fill the hair in (eventually, we'll worry more about that later), and you won't see these strands for the final pic.

(Make sure you have the undo history up on your screen, it's in the edit section. Also, the layers window, which is under windows-recently closed docks)

Add a new layer, and call it hair under.

This will be your first layer to begin to add the necessary amount of hairs to your sim. I love to look at other hair to base mine off of since I know where I'm going and my hair won't all be straight down and lifeless. I've been using pics from this site for Second Life hair (why base it off a sim hair when we already have it?) since it's easier to see the hair's motion than basing it off RL hair. The website is here, if anyone wants it: (well, the pictures. There's hundreds to choose from, so that should be good :lol: ) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I decided to base it off this hair (but only partially, my sim will have short hair on one side since she's an alien and that is her style)

See how dynamic the hair is, there's some wave to it? While I won't do it as well as the maker of that hair did, I will not be in the dark for where to go!

Now, you begin drawing the hair! Use the paths tool and draw your first path. Click stroke, then make sure it's on stroke path, on paintbrush, and that you have emulate brush design checked! It takes some time to get used to this, so don't get discouraged. Play around with it, see how it works.

If you're doing a wavy hair, you will need to first mess with the placement of the paths tool (I don't recommend too many waves for a first timer), and you will need to use the tool more than once to get it going all the way down. You don't necessarily have to do one part of the hair and then another. You can choose to start with the top first if you like.

Sometimes, bits of the hair you thought you went over aren't there, see.

Simple fix, you will often have to go over that with the paths tool, only with a small step from the entire invisible part of the hair. This is especially an issue on the roots.

Now, add in some more paths all around. Stroke, stroke, stroke! I sometimes cheat and stroke an area more than once, and at the base layer, this isn't much of an issue. You have to click off for most of the paths, otherwise, the black path cursor thing stays there, and you usually should! But for this part of the tut, you can get away with stroking a lot over and over again.

After doing this loads of times, this is what I have.

As you can see, it's no where near done. At some parts, I changed my mind for what I wanted to do with it. (ignore the line at the top, that's my guide for that strange up-do part to her hair, will remove it later). But that's fine, it's only the base layer, loads more hair will cover up those mistakes, and I know better where I want to go!

Make another new layer, call it hair 1.

Go to your paintbrush, switch it up to another hair brush! Change the color to a medium tint of the color you have now. Repeat what you just did. Now, you should have more of an idea for how your hair will flow, so try to work with the paths tool better this layer! The trick is to draw the paths almost right next to each other. Not too close or far away, so you can see the under layers a little, but it doesn't look out of place.

This is the next layer done!

There are still some issues with it, but that will be worked out! It is looking pretty full though, eh? Well, make your brush color even lighter this time and do the same thing!

Now your hair should be looking like it should, so make an additional base layer). We will be coloring UNDER the hair some to fill in the blanks. This is better than filling it in on one of the top layers since you don't have to be as exact simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut 369142835.

Make sure you change the order of your layers so it's on the bottom (click and drag the layer from your layers dock). This is when I like to zoom in even closer so I can start to fill in the blanks easier. You can make the brush bigger too, since you can't see it as much simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut 369142835.

Unfortunately, my layers messed up and I just had a background image, so the under layer appeared over and I had to later put some layers over it :?. Don't let that happen to you!

Note that you don't have to have it ALL filled in yet. Just do a lot of it. This is what I had:

Click on your background layer and change the opacity to zero (it's easier to see the transparency that way), and go back to your base layer (sorry, this is the pic before it didn't save, so it won't look exactly the same)

Go back to your new base layer, zoom in close, and fill in the rest of the blanks.

It should look something like this:

Now, merge down all your hair layers!

This is when you can erase and clean up the hair (some parts may be on your sim's chin when they shouldn't). You may want to lower the opacity of the hair to do that. Then, add a new layer and call it flyaways and move the layer to under the main hair. Hair doesn't look good if it's perfect, just put in random hairs! Lower the size of the brush too, mine is half of what it was.

This step is optional. If you want any type of bangs, add a new layer, and put in all your hair colors, without worrying about filling it all in right away.

Make an under layer for the hair to fill it in.

Merge those layers together, and now you'll dodge and burn the hair! Take out your fuzzy brush. You may have to lower the size and opacity for different parts of the hair. start dotting the burn on the roots (don't swipe, it won't look good!).

Burn in other random areas of the hair, as well as parts of the hair that are supposed to be somewhat under the hair, or may cast a shadow (just look at my pic to see what I mean).

Highlight using the dodge tool some, and your hair is done! (I know it's not perfect, I never claimed to be a pro at it. Not yet.)

bdowg2
bdowg2
Tokens : 4251

simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut Empty Re: simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 am
Why cant you just cut out the hair resizeit the way you want then put it on her?
simsgal
simsgal
Tokens : 5146

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 am
You mean from the hair pic I found? Go ahead and try it if you want I suppose.
ifiwazurboyfriend
ifiwazurboyfriend
Tokens : 5587

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:33 am
Nice tut, but I don't use gimp (that is gimp right? It looks like it kinda) I use Photoshop CS5. But it's nice simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut 650269930
Vanadis
Vanadis
Tokens : 9253

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:23 am
That is GIMP, but pretty much all GIMP tutorials can be translated to Photoshop.
AppleMuffinPancakes
AppleMuffinPancakes
Tokens : 4002

Sat May 25, 2013 2:47 pm
Okay this is my result for my first time. Except I used the fuzzy circle brush and Gaussian Blur for the shine simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut 650269930. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
matomibotaki
matomibotaki
Tokens : 3687

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 am
Great tut, thank you simsgal's 'quicker' hair tut 2774444739 
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum