Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Tokens : 12584

PostSubject: Hosting 101   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Everything you need to know for hosting a successful competition.

This tutorial will cover Banners, Judges, Assignments, Experience & Example work.

It is very important that when hosting a competition you take your banners just as serious as you want your models to take your competition. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use bannermaker.com for your banner making tool. Unless you have an account with them to remove the "Bannermaker" logo from the banner you have created, PLEASE do not use bannermaker.

Then we have banners that have sims applied to them or other sim objects you may want to remove from a background and apply to the banner. If you do not know how to properly remove an object or sim from a bg without leaving remains of green screen. It is probably for the best you stick to a more basic type of banner and go with something clean , sleek and aka Text Banner. It is important that if you are using an image or sim in your background, you should also make sure you do not distort your image when applying it to the banner. No stretching your image or squishing. If you cant do it right dont do it at all!

Text Banners are a simple form of banner but can still be dressed up a lot! You can add snazzy drop shadows to your font, boarders, textures or transparent bg's. When choosing a font it is important that you choose something that goes with the theme of your comp and still looks professional or stylish. I know a lot of people are fans of those messy hand written fonts, and while those do look good SOMETIMES for certain things, I have seen that some people use the font a tad too much and then for EVERYTHING they type in their competition thread. This is just ewww.... Dont get me wrong, some hand written fonts are cute, but if you want to use it, I would stick to using the font for just the banner and the smaller txt should be in a more clear font that is easy to read. It is perfectly fine to use 2 - 3 different fonts in your banners as long as they compliment each other and you dont go with off the wall themes that dont go with each other.

When hosting a competition, it is best to have some experience with competing. When you are hosting a competition the potential competitors want to know that you are reliable, you know what you are talking about, and give helpful feedback.

Why should you have model experience to host a competition? Being a competitor in a competition gives you insight on the type of feedback you personally would want from a judge/host and how you would want to be treated as a competitor. Being a competitor can allow you to see things in a competition that you like or do not like such as time frame it takes to get scores, fairness in scoring, or the use of extensions.

From personal experience I have gathered from other hosts that I do not like, Is how models get a countless number of extensions in a competition. This ends up drawing the competition out every assignment and I find that those who get more time to spend on a photo tend to score better in the long run. This is unfair to the other competitors who met the original deadline. I have also found that some judges wait way too long to get scores posted and this is something that has really bothered me. If you as a host is giving the models a deadline to meet, then you should have the decency to get scores back to them in a timely manner. I think a good time frame is 48 hours from the last entry is an acceptable time. These are just examples of things that I have gathered as a competitor and applied to my hosting as something I would NOT DO as a host. This is why is is important to have experience as a competitor.

When it comes to judging, you should both know what you are talking about and hire judges who know what they are talking about. I have seen too often that some people hire the very first person who applies or just says "hey I wanna be a judge". This is just a no no! When you Judge a photo you should actually know what you are talking about. If you do not know how properly remove a sim from a background, then you probably shouldn't be hosting an editing competition. I think when Hosting and Judging a photo it should be a competition that is on the same level as you or less. Do not host a competition where you will be judging photo's that are way above your skill level. It is rather annoying to be judged by someone who can not come close to do half the things a skilled editor can do.

So when you are judging a photo, please make sure you are judging images that are based in a competition on your skill level or less. Also make sure you can give both positive and helpful feedback without being rude. I have seen plenty of judges in the past who point out ALL negative things in an image and then say "good job" as the last two words in the comments. This is just stupid...

Do not give someone feedback without giving them everything you liked about the photo as well. Judging an image is NOT about only finding the flaws but looking for the good too. There is something good in EVERY photo.
Try to shed as much light on something you didn't like so the competitor is clear of what you are talking about and does not take offense to your comments.

And always remember to end in a positive note!

Very important to do both creative and fun assignments. Worst assignment in my opinion? The color assignment. That is just way overplayed and boring. Personally I find no challenge in dressing my model up in Pink from head to toe so she looks like Malibu Barbie and then have a photo in the end I don't even like or want to keep.

If you are doing a theme competition, like High Fashion? You can still stay within the theme and still make the assignments creative and unique. You should also challenge your model but not necessarily make it so hard for them they stress out and have no fun at all.

During the sign up staged of a competition you will get more applicants if you post the first assignment or application assignment. Being able to give the models an idea of what to expect from the competition will better help them decide whether or not they want to join. Good thing is...if you have a great first assignment that catches the competitors eye. Then you should have a good amount of sign up's.

Last but not least. Make sure you have all your requirements you want in the photo listed out loud and clear.
If you get a photo back from a model that did not give you what you are looking for, this is your fault if you did not have everything listed properly. If they fail to read, then the point deduction will be on them. Make sure everything you want is in the assignment and requirements!

When assigning an assignment, it is important to give an example photo with the assignment. To give the models a visual of an idea of what you are looking for, will help the models stay on subject and not go off the relativity of the assignments. Whether the example be in game or goggled, Make sure it is standard to what you expect from your models. If you give the models a sloppy in game example, don't expect to set the bar high for your models.

Last edited by Bliss on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://unboundart.forumotion.com
Cutebina

Tokens : 6653

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:20 pm

WOOO! Awesome tut Bliss :cheeser:

We should advertise this so the officials kiddies see ::
Back to top Go down
Bliss
Creator
Creator

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Cutebina wrote:
WOOO! Awesome tut Bliss :cheeser:

We should advertise this so the officials kiddies see ::

We should lol But i lack an account on the officials
Back to top Go down
Mysticfeline

Tokens : 3537

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:58 pm

This is a huge help to me. I'm working on banners and assignment examples right now for my first comp. I'll be referring back to this every step of the way
Back to top Go down
http://mysticskittycondo.blogspot.com/
Bliss
Creator
Creator

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Hehe thanks Mystic Never seen you host a comp, I'm excited to see
Back to top Go down
mvande

Tokens : 3875

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:57 pm

how do you upload your pictures with the transparent background?
Back to top Go down
Bliss
Creator
Creator

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 am

mvande wrote:
how do you upload your pictures with the transparent background?

Oh I saw you had this figured out before I could reply!
Back to top Go down
mvande

Tokens : 3875

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 am

Bliss: Ya, someone told me on the officials
Back to top Go down
x2oo92x

Tokens : 2484

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 am

I wish I had read this a while back before I did my first contest. This is very helpful and hopefully others read this before doing their own contest. I'm actually planning the next contest I do to be hosted here as well as the officials.
Back to top Go down
Bliss
Creator
Creator

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:44 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hosting 101   

Back to top Go down

Hosting 101