SimsUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
New* Before & After EditingSat Apr 11, 2015 3:56 am435q
BARBIETOPIA, THE PRINCESS EDITION♛ MOCK DUE TOMORROW ☺Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 amBobSkellington
Face Off Cycle 4 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 amNinisims
Vana's Custom ContentSun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pmVanadis
Pixelated Cycle One Sign Ups OpenThu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pmbestfrienemies14
Statistics
We have 5583 registered usersThe newest registered user is worknmamaOur users have posted a total of 118969 messagesin 1676 subjects

Go down
cloudeu
Tokens : 4471

Just Another Skin Smoothing Tutorial Empty Just Another Skin Smoothing Tutorial

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:59 pm
Hallo, this is a skin smoothing method that is useful for both real photos and Sim photos. It smooths the skin while slightly sharpening key features like the eyebrows, eyes, nostrils, and mouth. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. They will be updated in the F.A.Q. This tutorial was made for GIMP, but can probably be translated to other programs.

As a side note: the tutorial below can be used with photo-skinning and / or other body parts!

Firstly, you will want to start out with a picture that is not completely blurry. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is the picture that was used for the tutorial. Feel free to download it or use your own!

Step 1:
Using the lasso tool, outline the face leaving a reasonably thick border. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Step 2:
Using the lasso tool, hold down control and outline key features: eyebrows, eyes, nostrils, and mouth.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Step 3:
Press ctrl + c and ctrl + v (copy and paste) or go to edit > copy & edit > paste. Press the new layer icon. Then, hide the background/bottom layer so you can see the skin mask.

Step 4:

While on the new skin mask lawyer, go to filters > blur > gaussian blur. Set the number to around 20. Blur until completely smooth.

Step 5:
Hide the skin mask layer. Go to the background / bottom layer and right click. Press 'duplicate layer'.

Step 6:
Go to the duplicated layer / middle layer and go to Filters > blur > gaussian blur. Set the number around 15.

Step 7:
On the middle layer / duplicated layer, go to layer mode and press "grain extract".

Step 8: Click the Top layer/skin mask layer. This layer should be hidden! Right click this layer and press "new from visible. Delete the duplicate layer.

Step 9:
Click the Top layer if you don't already have it selected and go to layer mode > overlay.

Voila! Finished product. It's hard to see on lighter skins, but there is DEFINITELY a difference, trust me!

BEFORE:
AFTER:

Last edited by cloudeu on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
cloudeu

Just Another Skin Smoothing Tutorial Empty Re: Just Another Skin Smoothing Tutorial

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:50 pm
F.A.Q?

1. What is the point of the grain extract?

The layer mode "grain extract" actually sharpens the image so that the skin is not too blurred. However, it makes the picture gray and grainy. This is why the overlay is used.

2. When I blur my picture, some of the skin goes outside the lines.
Before you merge anything, go to the background layer and right click it and press "Alpha to Selection". From there, go to the skin mask and press ctrl + i or go to Selection > invert. Either go to Edit > clear / delete or press the delete on the keyboard. This should clear it up.

Last edited by cloudeu on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bubbles1419
Bubbles1419
Tokens : 6221

Just Another Skin Smoothing Tutorial Empty Re: Just Another Skin Smoothing Tutorial

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:49 pm
Wow this looks great! I will be sure to try it once I get home! Thanks for the tut!
cloudeu

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:31 pm
Your welcome. I will be updating the pictures x)

EDIT: Pictures are updated and tutorial is more properly written c:
LE
LE
Tokens : 7329
http://lethestrange.weebly.com

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:13 am
Very awesome tutorial. I'll definitely keep this in mind for future use Just Another Skin Smoothing Tutorial 650269930
cloudeu

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm
LE: Thanks!
cloudeu

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 pm
shameless le-bump.
Sarae
Sarae
Tokens : 4166

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 am
I know this is from August, but I just tried this out, and the difference is amazing! :D Thanks so much for this!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum