SimsUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
New* Before & After EditingSat Apr 11, 2015 3:56 am435q
BARBIETOPIA, THE PRINCESS EDITION♛ MOCK DUE TOMORROW ☺Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 amBobSkellington
Face Off Cycle 4 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 amNinisims
Vana's Custom ContentSun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pmVanadis
Pixelated Cycle One Sign Ups OpenThu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pmbestfrienemies14
Statistics
We have 5583 registered usersThe newest registered user is worknmamaOur users have posted a total of 118969 messagesin 1676 subjects

Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED!

+65
Andrea Leona Crusher
ellebell
Happilyeverafter78
superxflow
purpl3panda
Cinderpelt
simsgal2227
Sasha19
traelia
Elasticgirl
ashpie88
Dylon4000
Rinxes
Scruffy19
xodramaprincess
Jacquelinejvr
AzaraRumohra
aa13ls10
Ella
evergreen
Loopyloo01
KosmoKhaos
sweetstop7
LE
amylet
Krussi
xchrissy
cherriblossom
Nicolla
Danni
ALMAinWONDERLAND
cloudeu
Agaathee
Voorksas
Bubbles1419
Stephanie
Nina Coreila
Twilight
Chloé78
OceanSaphire
TheMeeepMoop
Melly
kaliko103
musicbookworm
rumblebee
JKInspired23
Ashanti_21
Shay
Smile267
JKAmaryllis
Monks
JewelsRule
Gim
JaLiBo
Ninisims
LovelyJubblyGloria
Mysticfeline
starling68
FantasyPearl
mynanluvsrpatz
Vanadis
Oliviafrost1
Simmielove
rey1993
Bliss
69 posters
Go down
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator
Tokens : 14712
https://unboundart.forumotion.com

Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 Empty Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:47 am
First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My Hair drawings:

Getting Started...

Step 1.

I am only going to show the basics here. I will start off by showing you how to get the strands and look I create with my hair. I suggest you practice with strands like this before you try anything to difficult.

I am going to apply some strands to this white background.

Step 2.

Choosing the color I will be working with. This is not really important because with my method, you can change the hair color at the end of the tutorial.

Step 3.

Grab the hair brush you will be working with and size it down to your choosing.

Hair Brushes can be downloaded here - CLICK FOR BRUSHES

Step 4.

I have selected the "PATHS" tool in the toolbox on the top left. I will make a "S" Shape on the white background for the stroke of the Hair.

Step 5.

Now click "Stroke Path" and make sure you have the option "Stoke with a Paint tool" and "Emulate brush dynamics" selected. These are both very important or your strokes will NOT look like mine.

Step 6.

You should now have a smooth stroke of hair strands. If you got something with a bunch of dots, this means your spacing is not set to 1.0 as seen in the bottom right of the paint brush box.

Go on ahead and stroke the brush a couple more times to thicken it up a bit.

Step 7.

Now I will ADD NEW LAYER and select a tad lighter shade of hair color.

Step 8.

I have now applied a few more strands of the lighter shade of hair on top of our original strands.

Step 9.

ADD NEW LAYER > Select another lighter shade of hair. We will now be applying another layer of strands on top of the bottom two layers you just applied.

Step 10.

This is what I have now...

Step 11.

ADD NEW LAYER > I will be applying one last set of strands. So once again grab a tad lighter shade of hair.

Step 12.

I Will apply one set of strands on top of the bottom 3 layers. You should now see it coming together nicely and the hair has some depth.

Step 13.

"Merger all visible layers". This will make all the hair layers into ONE LAYER.

Step 14.

COLOR CHANGING TIME! I really like playing with purple hue colored hair just for the fun of it. I think the high lights on maroon/purple hair looks good and something a lil different.

I will play with the color hues until I find something I like.

Step 15.

NOW DUPLICATE YOUR LAYER

Step 16.

In the layers box you will see a drop down box next to "MODE" and on the top layer you will change it to "OVERLAY"

Step 17.

Adding SHINE! Shine is VERY important when creating hair and no you should not have white blobs of shine, You should make the hair shine looks realistic and it should blend well into the hair. So I have 2 different ways I shine hair. First being with the dodge tool set to "Highlight" and you MUST use a fuzzy circle brush and DAB IT when applying the shine. OR the second way which is pretty common for A LOT of hair drawers and this is the "Overlay" option.

So ADD NEW LAYER > Grab your fuzzy circle brush and apply some white paint on top of the hair where the shine should be. Now go to the overlay option again and select it.

Step 18.

Gaussian Blur! This will blur out the high lights you just applied so they are not too chunky and they fade out over the hair nice and smooth.

You are done!

Last edited by Bliss on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 am; edited 20 times in total

Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 Empty Re: Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:08 am
Ellasims7 wrote:I tried a lil strand here not confident enough to try a full head yet. :Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 4179419588:

That looks good but you got to do as I mentioned in the tut and apply more than one layer of each set of strands so it is fuller looking Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 650269930
aa13ls10
aa13ls10
Tokens : 5227

Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 Empty Re: Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:35 am
Ok. I have never used Gimp before but I decided to give it a try and here is what I came up with.

aa13ls10
aa13ls10

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:33 pm
Tried a full head of hair. Didn't go too badly but it isn't great. Not great at all with gimp so after I drew the hair I took it over to PSE and tweaked it a bit. Gonna practice some more.

KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos
Tokens : 5610
http://KosmoKhaos@gmail.com

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:34 pm
You should just draw your hair with PSE then :O! If that is what you have been working with then it will probably be a lot easier for you. I'm sure that PSE has the tools if not similar right?
evergreen
evergreen
Tokens : 6840

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:36 pm
PSE doesn't have the Pen/Paths tool, its sad.
KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 pm
Wow that does suck...
evergreen
evergreen

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:08 pm
Yeah, it was the worst. I had to draw a snake for an assignment, and I tried to just draw it by hand and that just did not work, so I had to try the paths tool on GIMP for the first time.. *shudder* bad experience. I enjoy my CS5 now.
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:17 pm
aa13ls10 wrote:Ok. I have never used Gimp before but I decided to give it a try and here is what I came up with.

Looks good, just be sure to add more strands so it is fuller Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 650269930
aa13ls10
aa13ls10

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:57 pm
Ok. Thanks for the tip.
KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:22 pm
My latest attempt lol took me literally all day!!! But I'm happy with it! Ignore the horrible cut out!!!

KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:24 pm
NVM here's the finished photo. I did this for fun :3

sweetstop7
sweetstop7
Trusted Host
Trusted Host
Tokens : 7551
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/sweetstop7

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 pm
Looks awesome Kosmo!

I tried a new shape, though I know it needs more dynamics.
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:31 am
@Kosmo, Your shape is awesome sauce, I think you def have that down. The strands look a bit messy/smudgy and the shine looks a lil cut off in some areas like a a hard line.

@Sweet, getting better!
KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:45 am
XD yeah the strands ended up messy but I kinda liked it so I left it alone. Doing shine was making my brain turn to mush lol so I'll probably tweak that later.
AzaraRumohra
AzaraRumohra
Tokens : 5454

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 pm
Hey Bliss, say you started with black, how do you change the colour of the strand, - I've tried the colourising objects under the colour tab but it doesn't change :S?
KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm
I think all the layers might have to be merged down first.
AzaraRumohra
AzaraRumohra

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 pm
Haha, figured that you just press the fill tool *I facepalmed*
AzaraRumohra
AzaraRumohra

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm
>new problem<
I click stroke and it doesn't do anything, just gets rid of the popup, the line of the path is still there :/
KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 pm
Hmmmm....here are my attempts to help: Do you have the "Stroke with a paint tool" option checked? And its on the paint tool option in the drop down box? Lol and the "Emulate brush dynamics" box underneath that is checked? If that sill doesn't work then the brush you're using could just be sized too small. If so just go make your brush bigger.
AzaraRumohra
AzaraRumohra

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:40 pm
Hmm... welll... I tried all those things and the size did apply on some brushes...
But I restarted because it just wouldn't work, even with the one I was using lmfao Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 3616433288

So, this one is rushed, and I haven't sat down to have a PROPER go at it
- I know the shape is awful, and the strands don't meet and so look painted on and don't even ask about the right side .-.

But it was a reaaallllyyy useful tutorial Bliss so thanks, I'm just too tired to know what the Diablo I'm doing so I'm not going to finish it or go onto the dodge/burning stage Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 3616433288
But I get the idea now, so I'll actually draw a proper shape template up tomorrow and try for real Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 650269930

Thanks for all the help though Kosmo, really appreciated :pink heart:
evergreen
evergreen

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:01 am
Also, if you start with black, make it lighter before changing the color, and then the color will properly add on.
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:28 am
@aza, looks like you got most of it figured out. Sorry I was gone almost all day today so I wasnt able to answer your questions Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 354460240

Thank you to kosmo for helping :3

Aza, When doing the hair, try to size the brush down just a little more. The strands look a bit chunky but the color looks good and how it should be. Shape is always the hardest part of hair drawing, so when you practice more, dont hesitate to look at rl hair styles and try to copy them Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 369142835
AzaraRumohra
AzaraRumohra

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am
Haha, I'm beginning to figure that I really need a reference .-.

Anyway - 2nd try... This one still isn't finished because more highlights are needed, haven't got onto the shading part yet either (I'm hoping to use this one on a sim but it's really big and I can't get it to fit the head right, even though I actually made the shape of the hair on top of the sim to start with :( )

But when I add the next layer of highlights, and I scale the brush down, the hair looks really harsh, do you have any suggestions?
I'm also getting to grips with the path tool itself now, yay :D Again, thanks for this tutorial, helped a lot <3
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 am
That looks really good, You havnt done the duplicate layer and overlay yet?
AzaraRumohra
AzaraRumohra

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:00 am
No not yet

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] <-- that's what I mean about highlights

**Edit - Oh, it looks a lot more suiting to the head with overlay Blissful Hair Drawing - VIDEO NOW ADDED! - Page 16 650269930
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum