SimsUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
New* Before & After EditingSat Apr 11, 2015 3:56 am435q
BARBIETOPIA, THE PRINCESS EDITION♛ MOCK DUE TOMORROW ☺Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 amBobSkellington
Face Off Cycle 4 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 amNinisims
Vana's Custom ContentSun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pmVanadis
Pixelated Cycle One Sign Ups OpenThu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pmbestfrienemies14
Statistics
We have 5583 registered usersThe newest registered user is worknmamaOur users have posted a total of 118969 messagesin 1676 subjects

Go down
Jaybee
Jaybee
Tokens : 4434

How to cut out hair - The Feathery Method. C:  Empty How to cut out hair - The Feathery Method. C:

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:04 pm
I've seen loads of cutting out tutorials - yet, for all of them, I don't like how the hair's cut out. Probably because it usually takes ages. And I am REALLY lazy. How to cut out hair - The Feathery Method. C:  3616433288
Either way, for this method, I use GIMP. I haven't used any other editing software before so I really don't know about the others, but you might be able to adapt... C:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Step Uno - Once you have gotten rid of the large chunks of white background (see other tutorials) you'll be left off with these little nasty white bits. Now, what you need to do, is zoom in on them and use the free select lasso tool. Make a selection around them, like so-

Don't lasso around too much.
Now, here comes the feathery method. Step two - go to select > feather at the top. I feathered it by about 25.0 pixels, but it depends on the size of the picture and how much white you want rid of. Now, when you're selection's feathered, go to colour > colour to alpha.

See why I said not to lasso too much? This method works so much better on dark hair, but as long as you don't overdo it, it's fine on light. If the darkness of it all looks way too sharp, go back and feather it more. It's best to play around.

Repeat this with all of the hair, and don't be afraid to go over some parts. Once you're done, add your background and stuff and it should turn out something like this-

C:
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator
Tokens : 14714
https://unboundart.forumotion.com

How to cut out hair - The Feathery Method. C:  Empty Re: How to cut out hair - The Feathery Method. C:

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:24 pm
Oh wow this will be super helpful for a ton of people!

Thank you for sharing this <3
simsgal
simsgal
Tokens : 5198

How to cut out hair - The Feathery Method. C:  Empty Re: How to cut out hair - The Feathery Method. C:

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:12 am
Thanks for this! I did it on a light haired sim, and since the girl had so many frizzies, it gave a really strange tint to the edges of the hair. It helped to dodge the dark hair on midtones immensely to make it blend in more!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum