SimsUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
New* Before & After EditingSat Apr 11, 2015 3:56 am435q
BARBIETOPIA, THE PRINCESS EDITION♛ MOCK DUE TOMORROW ☺Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 amBobSkellington
Face Off Cycle 4 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 amNinisims
Vana's Custom ContentSun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pmVanadis
Pixelated Cycle One Sign Ups OpenThu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pmbestfrienemies14
Statistics
We have 5583 registered usersThe newest registered user is worknmamaOur users have posted a total of 118969 messagesin 1676 subjects

Go down
j i l l i e<3
j i l l i e<3
Banned
Banned
Tokens : 6062
http://jilliebees.blogspot.com

[Basic] Eye Details Empty [Basic] Eye Details

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Setup

First off you need to find a picture of the sim you want to edit. I will be using this image of Kim. You may feel
free to use her for your practice, but it's way easier to use a very large picture, since the bigger the picture the
smaller the detail you can do.

Now that she's all edited up (skin shading tutorial to come soon!) we can give her the much needed eye details!
The reason I choose to leave the eye editing until after my shading is done, is that sometimes you can go a
little overboard (especially if you're speeding). It's much easier to correct that mistake before you've already
made it pretty. Chances of it ending up the same as it was done before, are slim to non.

Stage One

In this step we're going to brighten the whites. First duplicate your layer, if you make a mistake it's much
easier to just go back to the original picture rather than try and fix the one you made a mistake on. Take the
dodge tool set on Highlights at about 8%. I usually use a soft brush small enough to fit just the area, as you
can see below. Now don't go and make every little spec white. Use that to your advantage to not have to shade
later. I normally make the stroke curve around her pupil, that will give your eye some depth and make it look
round.

Stage Two

We are pretty much copying the same idea as Stage One, just this time we are focusing around the iris. Once
again you may duplicate your layer, if you're comfortable enough you don't have to bother. Like last time you'll
be using the dodge tool set on highlight on 8%. You're going to make your brush size a little smaller to just fit
inside the iris walls like below. This time you're going to curve around the pupil, but just underneath, like
you're making a 'U'.

Stage Three

Adding the shadow! Create a new layer (not duplicate, you need it to be a transparent layer). Grab your paint
brush, use a soft brush at a 100%. You're going to draw around the top eye lid, make sure you overlap on your
eye, since that's the point of this stage.

Stage Four

Now that you have where your shadow is you're going to take the eraser at about 30%, big enough to create a
nice gradient. Remember not to go over too much of the black, since you do want it dark at the top. If you
make a mistake and erase too much, or you feel it's not dark enough for you, draw more black and use the
eraser or blur tool to get your desired look.

Stage Five

Adding the highlights. There are numerous ways of doing this, this is just a way I use, since it's simple and
gets the point across. Make a New layer and grab your paintbrush. Use a soft brush about 1-2px big. Start off
adding the dots, you want to place them on the side of the light source. So in this case it would be the left
side. Using the brush at 1px I make a small line across the eye. Try to get it to curve a little (NOT like I have on
the left eye >_<) it will add to it being more round appearance.

Final Stage

If you notice, where I have the light source gives it the appearance as if she's almost looking up. If there is
something you don't like about the picture, change it! Since everything is on different layers I'm going to move
it slightly down.

And Viola!
If you have any questions or want to show off your tries PLEASE post away in this thread! I'd love to
see your work with it!

Last edited by j i l l i e<3 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Alverna
Alverna
Tokens : 9438

[Basic] Eye Details Empty Re: [Basic] Eye Details

Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:06 am
Great tut, Jillie! I have always wondered how to make the eyes shine like your sim's! ;)
pam2297
Tokens : 5145

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:18 am
Yay! It's posted!!

Thank you so much!!
j i l l i e<3
j i l l i e<3
Banned
Banned
Tokens : 6062
http://jilliebees.blogspot.com

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:53 pm
Awesome glad it helps, Alvie!

No problem Pam! I hope it helps you out!
Cutebina
Tokens : 8761

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:44 am
LOVE It! Thanks for the help [Basic] Eye Details 650269930

Last edited by Cutebina on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverDragon
Tokens : 5560

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:23 am
This is awesome! thanks [Basic] Eye Details 650269930
j i l l i e<3