SimsUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
New* Before & After EditingSat Apr 11, 2015 3:56 am435q
BARBIETOPIA, THE PRINCESS EDITION♛ MOCK DUE TOMORROW ☺Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 amBobSkellington
Face Off Cycle 4 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 amNinisims
Vana's Custom ContentSun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pmVanadis
Pixelated Cycle One Sign Ups OpenThu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pmbestfrienemies14
Statistics
We have 5583 registered usersThe newest registered user is worknmamaOur users have posted a total of 118969 messagesin 1676 subjects

How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie

+16
xchrissy
mynanluvsrpatz
MzDiamond92
ashpie88
Puggy
Flimming
Mysticfeline
jaicee521
Ezparis
Alverna
Bliss
Cutebina
Spychip
j i l l i e<3
DeepDown
Evie
20 posters
Go down
Evie
Tokens : 4912
http://www.eviesims.blogspot.com/

How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie Empty How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:00 pm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You must have some basic knowledge using gimp to fully understand and follow this tutorial.
For this tutorial all I use is a basic large round brush, free select tool (Lasso Tool), color select tool, guassian blur, Eraser, and pen tool.
I have lowered my game settings to create this tutorial.
I recommend maxing out your Sim Detail and Visual Effects when creating competition photographs.
Before starting this tutorial I suggest you cut your sim out of your background or if you don't plan on using a custom back ground you can cut your sim out and past him/her into a new layer.

If you would like to practice on the sim used in this tutorial, get the full size pic here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The first thing that stands out is the clothing when your graphics aren't up to par. They appear pixelated and just plain bad. So lets start by fixing that.

start inside the clothing a little bit and outline (inline in this case) the clothing using the free select tool as seen below:

I usually do it by section as seen below:

Now select your smudge tool, I usually range between 10% opacity - 50% opacity. The opacity is up to you, If it doesn't appear to be smudging then increase it, if it's smudging too much then decrease it. For this part of the tutorial I was at 40% opacity. Smudge the skin up to the line you've made as seen below:

Do this all around the outside of the clothing (in this case the bra) until you end up with a result similar to this:

Now that the clothing is cleaned up, lets smooth the pixelated skin using the smudge tool.
I usually start off at 20% opacity and if that isn't smudging enough I increase it depending on the section that isn't smudging.

Now that the skin and clothing are finished, we need to add some shading and highlights to give the sim a bit more realism, depth, and quality. Start by creating a new layer. Now with a dark dark brown, outline the areas you want to shade. I usually outline the shoulders and other parts that need to be shaded such as the armpits, occasionally under the chin and breasts:

At this point I prepare my eraser tool at 50% opacity:

Now that you have outlined the shadows open the gaussian blur effect and set it somewhere high, like 30.0 - 50.0. You be the judge, if it's set too high you can always undo and lower it. If it's set to low you can always apply it several times to get the desired look:

After you have applied the gaussian blur, use your eraser tool at 50% opacity and erase this layer. Alternate between gaussian blur from anywhere between 5.0-50.0 and the eraser tool from anywhere between 10%-50% opacity until you get the desired look. You can click the eye on your current layer in your layers dialog to see what it looks like without this new layer and with it.

After you have your desired look, select the color select tool, click on your sim layer, select the transparent color, click your shadow layer and hit delete. This will remove any blurred brown that may be on the background.

Now follow these steps for the face, add a new layer, outline the face, gaussian blur/erase until you have your desired look, color select the transparency around your sim, click the new layer and hit delete:

Now add a new layer and select your pen tool. Make sure the color is set to white. somewhere in the middle of your sims arms draw a line from the bottom to mid shoulder. Hold CTRL and do the same on the opposite arm:

Now right click/Edit/Stroke Path. Set the width depending on your distance. Since this is a closer image, I'm going to set the stroke width to 5.0. You don't want it too thick otherwise it won't look like shine, it'll overpower and look more like a glow effect.

Now add a guassian blur, depending on your distance set it anywhere from 5.0-50.0. For this tutorial I have set it to 40.0.

Again alternate between the eraser and gaussian blur until you're happy with it.

Now follow the highlight steps for the collar bone, neck, breasts, chin, forehead, nose, and cheeks. For this tutorial I have only chosen to highlight the arms, collar bone, and cheeks.

Now I'm going to add some shading around the bra since it's looking a little flat, create a new layer:

Select black from your color pallet, outline all of the areas that should be shaded as seen below:

Now lets alternate between guassian blur and the eraser tool again:

Now let's outline the bra in sections as seen below:

Delete the sections: (This is removing the black that is on the sims skin)

Do this for all sections of the bra/clothing.

Now lets select our sim layer and fix those eyes:
Outline using the free select tool the inside of the eyes as seen below:

Delete:

Now create 3 new layers and place all of them below your sim layer.

Find an image of an iris on the web, open it in gimp and cut it out:

paste it in the middle of the 3 new layers and scale it to size, copy it and paste it into the other eye hole.:

Now, on the very bottom layer, using your brush tool with the color white, fill in the eye as seen below:

Here is what it looks like with the sim layer invisible (showing you its okay to be messy)

Now on the top of the 3 layers (the one right below your sim layer) outline the eye with black using your brush tool:

Here is what it looks like with the sim layer invisible:

Now you'll need to alternate between gaussian blur and the eraser tool, you decide how much gaussian blur to apply and how much to erase. (Remember you don't want the whites of the eyes too bright, otherwise they look fake and flat).

Now add a new layer and select your brush tool, scale it down small so you can draw fine lines in the eye using the color red:

Open the gaussian blur, change it to 1.0 by 1.0 and apply. Now using your eraser tool at your desired opacity erase this layer until the lines in the eyes are faint:

Now add yet another layer, this one needs to be placed right below your sim layer. Select the color white from your color pallet, using the pen tool draw two 1 diagonal line at 1.0 by 1.0 over each eye as seen below:

As seen above, erase at 100% opacity the center of each diagonal line, apply a gaussian blur of 1.0 by 1.0 and smudge the diagonal lines in the center and outside so they blend.

Merge all visible layers and you're done!

In the after pic, I have lightened the color of the eyes and added eye lashes using brushes I found on the web.

Here is my end result:

Incase you missed it, you can view my full size unedited pic here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Evie on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeepDown
DeepDown
Tokens : 5249
http://www.wix.com/deepdow2/deepdown#!

How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie Empty Re: How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 pm
holy simoly! those are HUGE changes :O
Evie
Tokens : 4912
http://www.eviesims.blogspot.com/

How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie Empty Re: How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 pm
:D :D :D
j i l l i e<3
j i l l i e<3
Banned
Banned
Tokens : 6061
http://jilliebees.blogspot.com

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:18 pm
This will be really helpful.
I don't have to worry about faking since my graphics are pretty decent. The eye thing was neat. I'll have to try some of it out.
Spychip
Spychip
Tokens : 6103
http://spychip-blog.blogspot.com/

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:32 pm
Absolutely amazing! Thank you, Evie!
Cutebina
Tokens : 8760

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:48 pm
Oh this is awesome
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator
Tokens : 14692
https://unboundart.forumotion.com

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:54 pm
Amazing tut, ty for sharing with us How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 650269930
Alverna
Alverna
Tokens : 9437

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:54 pm
Looks great! :D
Ezparis
Ezparis
Tokens : 5749

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:47 pm
This tutorial is amazing even though I have good graphics it just helps to know this stuff! :D
jaicee521
Tokens : 5606

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:07 pm
Awesome!! Thanks Evie!!!
Mysticfeline
Mysticfeline
Tokens : 5644
http://mysticskittycondo.blogspot.com/

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:30 pm
This is extremely helpful :D thanks Evie
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:34 am
I tried the shirt cleaning up last night and it was very useful and came out great How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 650269930

Alot better way than i use to do it How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 369142835

Flimming
Tokens : 4655

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 pm
Hi Evie, i just joined this forum to show you this
I used your before image to practice, ive had GIMP for about 2 days now lol
ive been practicing like mad, and i love the sims and would love to enter these competitions maybe one day.. :D
here is my result after editing the skin a little and making my own hair
haha its not that great How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 3616433288
Puggy
Puggy
Tokens : 6067

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 pm
Bump

Last edited by Puggy on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashpie88
ashpie88
Vendor
Vendor
Tokens : 7668
http://asliceofashpie.blogspot.com

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 pm
This is really awesome, Evie. I'll have to try this. How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 650269930 -snags sim-
MzDiamond92
Tokens : 5933
http://diamondlovessims.blogspot.com/

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:01 pm
this tutorial is amazing, thanks for sharing your awesomeness How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 650269930
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:45 pm
This should be bumped because its amazing!
mynanluvsrpatz
mynanluvsrpatz
Tokens : 6015
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/mynanluvsrpatz

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:23 am
This is an amazig tutorial and I can't wait to try it. I only have one problem- GIMP won't show me the layers box-thingy. How do I get it to show?
Mysticfeline
Mysticfeline
Tokens : 5644
http://mysticskittycondo.blogspot.com/

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:52 pm
Go to Windows>Recently Closed Docks> Channels, paths, undo,layers-Gradients, brushes, patterns

xchrissy
Tokens : 6818

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:00 am
Hi How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 650269930 I'm new in the forums and I found this tut and decided to use it on the first modeling comp I've joined. This is my first hand at editing, took me a while but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Constructive criticism is welcome, I'd like to know how I can improve more.

Before Picture:

After Picture:

I know there isn't much difference, but I think the simplest things made the picture a whole lot better. So thank you for this tut and the eyelash tutorial. How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 369142835

I tried making a .gif to make it easier to compare but it didn't turn out too good :S

Tweety5401
Tweety5401
Tokens : 9005

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 pm
So heres my first go at it! How to Fake Quality in Gimp - Written by Evie 650269930

Before[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
After[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
gemmabubbles
gemmabubbles
Tokens : 4788

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:54 pm
Thanks so much my qualitys bad and this tut will really help me!!!
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:48 am
Great work! I wish evie was here to see this!
Krussi
Krussi
Tokens : 8885

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 am
Awesome
Bliss
Bliss
Creator
Creator

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 am
Agreed ^^
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum